Tuesday, January 22

Deadlines

Deadlines are good for me. They have a purpose. They keep me on track. They help me finish the things I tend to put off.

Procrastination, on the other hand, is an even better friend to me sometimes because I get to delay something my mind can't settle on in the moment. So the question becomes how to not let procrastination take over so much so that the deadline is compromised.

One thing I've found that works for me is to work in small sessions...I mean really small. In those small sessions I might do some prep work (like fuse sheets of fabric) or doodle in my sketching journal (with no pressure to create any one thing) or organize my studio (oh no, I said the dreaded "O" word). This way I let my muse figure out she can come back from her mini vacation and help me out a bit before she saunters off again. I swear she must think we head south for the winter or something.

Procrastination can be good sometimes. Like when you really want to throttle your teenager for doing (or more likely NOT doing) whatever it is they are not supposed to do (see, I can find the good in anything).

With that said I have decided to start a new creativity club for us all . It's gonna be fun. It'll help us overcome all those pesky little obstacles to creativity.

I'm sorry to report though that the first organizational meeting has been put off till next week.

Smile today and give your face a break.


See ya next time "In the Hayloft",

No comments: