Thursday, May 15

What Do You Call Yourself?


For the last few weeks I've been thinking about Sharon B's TIF challlenge for this month. I think it's a great question but it's a hard one to answer succinctly AND make a small piece to capture the essence of it.

If I've answered the question of "what do I call myself" (a fiber artist) then why is it so hard to create that expression in a piece of artwork? That then prompts another question...have I fully answered the question?

For a while there, in the last couple of months, I wavered back and forth about the "label" I give myself to be placed out there everywhere to describe what I do but, now that I'm really thinking about it, deep down I don't really like labels for me or anyone else. Why can't I just make artwork and be done with it?

Ya like it or ya don't. End of story!

It's only now that I realize that the label is not for me...no, not at all....it's so that others can recognize me in some way to help them SEE ME better, put me in some subjective category and file me away in some recess of their brain..."oh yeh..Grace, the FIBER artist" (whatever the heck that means they think to themselves).


So if I am to label myself to inform others of who I am and what I do, how do I express that in a quilted piece effetcively? More thoughts to ponder.

May TIF might just not get made in May.


See ya next time "In the Hayloft",

2 comments:

Timaree said...

That's the trouble. We just aren't ONE thing, we are many and I think artists have a lot of trouble narrowing it down because lots of things call to us with perhaps one or two dominating but not exclusively us. Good luck. It will be interesting to see what you come up with. Do you mind if I link your blog to mine?

Unknown said...

Wow - I also posted that labels are for giving others clues about how to see us, and used a filing analogy! It is going to be hard to express these ideas, I'll look forward to seeing your quilted piece. Glad to have found your blog - it seems that through this challenge every month I discover some new (to me) blogs to enjoy.