Sunday, August 3

Jounal Quilt Entry

Got in my studio today but don't say hurrah for me just yet. Spent most of the day doing paperwork that had been neglected for the last few weeks. I am all caught up now, but just with the paperwork mind you....not with the computer work, so a small hurrah would be appropriate (smile).

In the next few days I will also have to get to work on updating my website and.........reveal my little secret thing I've been working on. Stay tuned for that.

Here's a pic of my entry for the Houston Journal quilt challenge. I can show you it because I ran into a frustrating problem and therefore didn't get it finished before the deadline.

I painted the whole piece but because I painted a few layers over one section it didn't take to being machine quilted well. I would have to say it protested strongly and must have thought it looked quite good just painted.

Here is the traitor and I've made sure to point out the culprit in the pic above. I was quilting it to resemble a gust of wind (you know...the AIR element silly) coming in from one direction. You can see the first swirl I created. They're some big a _ _ needle holes aren't they?

Thing is I really liked this piece too. This would have been my first juried competition too (pouting lips here).

Oh well.........on to other things.


See ya next time "In the Hayloft",

6 comments:

Jules said...

I'd be pouting too Grace! Bummer!!

Ugh on the whole bookkeeping/paperwork thing in the way of creating. Just ugh!

Can't wait to see your new blog & new pieces! :)

Karoda said...

can you place some beads in the wind to cover the holes? its definitely a piece worth saving or doing again.

grace said...

Beads are what I was considering but at the time trying to make the deadline I got sooooooo dejected and frustrated that I had to put it aside, just for now though.

grace said...

Karoda, I just realized what you wrote....do again??????? No way Hosea! This piece WILL be fixed AND finished.
My art group has a gallery showing next year that it'll go in.

Joyce, I see that you too enjoy paperwork....NOT! And you so well decribes the feeling, "just ugh".

Christine Thresh said...

This jurist would have given you a "wow!" Too bad you missed the deadline.
The quilt will find its proper place.

Timaree said...

I had holes show up when I had to remove stitches from a fiber ATC I made for Take It Further. I tried washing it which helped a little with the holes but not enough. They are still staring me in the face. I agree that beads or some needlefelting might hide them. Some angelina fibers? I've never used them but it seems from what I've read they may hide the holes without taking from the wispiness of the wind curves. Good luck.

I guess this is a good reason to create what we love rather than just for competition. You still get to enjoy your quilt even though it would have been a nice extra to get in the exhibition.