Sunday, March 16

TIF March Update

One of the things I still find most challenging is the final process of making an art quilt. My March TIF piece is a study in the dreaded details of machine quilting. I'm usually not that happy with my stitches and had yet to perfect it (to me at least).

A few weeks ago I attended the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in Hampton, VA and had the pleasure of taking an advanced quilting class from Linda Feidler. She taught us how to start and stop effectively, what to use in particular areas to enhance the quilt and had us quilt a few of the designs that she regularly uses.

Whatever mojo she put on us as we sewed has worked. GreenPiece is homage to Linda for getting me to step into the light. ..and like machine quilting!!! Who knew I had it in me to get down to the details and get it right.

I used a 40 wt trilobal polyester thread in emerald green (muddy greens are just not my thing) on a dark maroon 12" square of fabric. The next step is beading, not too much but just enough to give it some light and shimmer. Here's a detail of the unfinished piece.


See ya next time "In the Hayloft",

6 comments:

Karoda said...

ooo, good mojo indeed!

grace said...

Hey Karoda, long time no hear.
Whatever that mojo juice was I want more...(big big grin)

Karrin Hurd said...

Looks like you did a great quilting job, I want some of that mojo juice too!

Debbi Baker said...

This is looking gorgeous Grace! Look forward to seeing it finished.

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

It looks great, Grace! Can't wait to see the whole thing finished. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Love your free motion quilting!!! You really matched up a gorgeous thread with a deep moody background fabric. I would love to see more photographs of this piece. I would guess it rocks!!