Tuesday, April 8

Listen to the Whispers

I am truly grateful for what I have and am thankful for the things I have accomplished so far in my life. My prayers are mostly of gratitude rather than requests, my one main request being strength...strength to get thru whatever struggle I might be going thru at the moment.

Oprah's new show, "The Big Give" is a must for me and invariably I end up in tears because someone in need is rewarded with a Big Give and it's usually a powerful experience. The premise of this show is based on the thought that prompted me to do a Pay It Forward post a while back...giving for giving sake only, with nothing expected in return.

Tonight as I sat and watched the Oprah Show (recorded) with Oprah interviewing the latest contestant to leave the show, Rachael Hollingworth, I was perplexed.

To recap, Rachael and the other three Big Givers were to make dying wishes come true for two people. One of them, Miss Emily's wish, was to play at Carnegie Hall. Miss Emily is on permanent oxygen and sits in a wheeelchair most of the time but from the time she was a little girl had seen herself on stage at Carnegie Hall.

Racheal, who could only see things in terms of herself finnagled her way into doing a solo performance at this dying woman's big event. I was truly upset that she would take some of the limelight away from Miss Emily. She did not see the big picture!

She did not see that she was taking away some of the beauty of the Carnegie Hall moment that belonged solely to Miss Emily. She did not hear the whisper that kept telling her that this moment was not about her. She missed all the cues until Oprah sat her down and explained that she was only the vessel in this life event, not the event itself. She was looking out into the ocean to catch the big waves but missed the ones lapping gently at her feet.

Yes, she will always be able to brag that she sang at Carnegie Hall, but in the sunset of her life she'll always have the knowledge that she encroached on someone else's moment...that it really was not her time. She'll have to come to terms with the fact that she just didn't listen to the whispers...this time.



Listen to your whispers.


See ya next time "In the Hayloft",

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and just what I needed this morning. Thank you

Ellen Guerrant said...

Your post about The Big Givr is so heartfelt. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. Beautiful.

Ellen.

grace said...

Thanks so much to you both for you comments.
It mattters so much to me that we ALL take part in making our world a better place.